DanvilleExpress.com and SanRamonExpress.com have merged into DanvilleSanRamon.com. You are seeing this page because the story below was previously on SanRamonExpress.com. The archives of SanRamonExpress.com are available here, but visit DanvilleSanRamon.com for new information and stories about our area.

News

WalMart rumor quashed by City Council

Mega store not in discussion to open in San Ramon

Contrary to rumor, WalMart is not headed to San Ramon, despite a flier that's been circulated around the city recently.

"I don't know who started the rumor," said Councilwoman Carol Rowley. "There's been no community input. Staff has had no communication with WalMart."

Fliers have been distributed across the city recently by Frank Ganz. Mayor Abram Wilson was quick to point out little is known about Ganz, other than determining that he's not a registered voter in San Ramon.

"We hope Mr. Ganz will come to the city before he spreads any other rumors," the mayor said, adding he'd be happy to provide Ganz with 10 minutes at the lectern to explain where he got the information.

City Council members admitted there is a vacant store in the location Ganz said the WalMart was headed, but as of now, no chain has expressed an interest in moving there.

City Councilman Dave Hudson said rumors of this kind frequently circulate near an election.

Comments

Posted by Roz Rogoff, the San Ramon Observer
on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

Roz Rogoff is a registered user.

Stay tuned for my Friday blog to find out who ganzfrank or Frank Ganz is or isn't.

Roz

Posted by Bob P, a resident of another community
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Good Teaser Roz!!

Posted by Roz Rogoff, the San Ramon Observer
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Roz Rogoff is a registered user.

Well I am sticking my neck out.

If anyone remembers my Rozisms from November 14, 2010, #2 is "Anyone who sticks their neck out should expect to have their head handed to them."

So I hope I'm right or at least partly right.

Roz

Posted by Keep the Fact Straight, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm

..."Mayor Abram Wilson was quick to point out little is known about Ganz, other than determining that he's not a registered voter in San Ramon.

Wilson said Ganz never spoke to city staff or members of the council before putting out the flier."

If Wilson knows little about Frank Ganz, then how could he possibly determine whether Frank Ganz ever spoke with City staff? Did he ask EVERYONE that works for the City? His statements are a direct contradiction.

...and by the way, I made it clear that I was told by City Staff that a Walmart Grocery was being considered for the site...Abram never contacted me about it -- and I heard the same "rumor"....from City Staff. But since the point is moot, why is the City so worried about the rumor and "Frank Ganz?" Something is not measuring up here. Oh and I would LOVE to see a Walmart go in...let's put it right in the middle of Windemere and see how people feel about it then.

Posted by Bob P, a resident of another community
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

Facts, why would Abram have to contact every member of city staff to make his statement non-contradictory? There is a limited number of staff who handle development matters.

...and by the way, whats your axe to grind?

Posted by mloliver, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm

mloliver is a registered user.

So tell us, "Keep the Facts Straight," who on City Staff passed the word on to you.

MLO

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Bob, you are right, I do have an axe to grind. It is simply this....
I was told by Greg Rogers directly that the plans were to put a Walmart "Grocery" where the Le Asia Market was. I did not overhear it, I did not misconstrue his words, I did not hear him speaking to someone else....he told me. Directly. When it came out in the press that Marc Fontes denied the rumors (which I did not start and did not care to start other than to tell my partner and my daughter that I was excited to finally have a grocery story that I could ride my bike to) - I saw a lie and I called b.s. I don't like the community being lied to, and so I spoke up. My axe to grind was that the City lied to the press (i.e. the community). They couldn't just come out and say "Ya, at one point we were considering it, but it's no longer in the works." No, they went out of their way to lie. Besides, I would think they were idiots if they hadn't considered every option including a Walmart, and if they haven't considered a Walmart, then they shouldn't even be in their positions! That is a no brainer consideration. They lied. I called them on it. Greg Rogers (of course) denied it. I have nothing to lose by speaking the truth, he obviously has more at stake. There ya have it. That's the axe. I don't like my community being lied to by our City Government. I am done discussing this. Call it what you want, call me Frank Ganz or Ganz Frank or a liar or bored or whatever you want to call me, I really don't care. The City lied, and I called bull_hit. Period.

Posted by Really, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Yea! How many of you out there are happy to see Renae say that she is "done discussing this"? Promise?

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Ya, but I'm going to have a t-shirt made up that says "WHO is the REAL Frank Ganz?"

Posted by Ms. Bunny, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:10 am

I seriously doubt the site of the former Asian Market, formerly Albertson's then Raley's, and BEFORE that the old Kodak company, could handle a Walmart. It seems less than feasible given the traffic conditions and housing element. So I HOPE this was simply a mistep on the part of city staff or whoever rumored it was a possibility.

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:41 am

Not a Walmart Bunny, a Walmart "Grocery" which is much smaller than a Walmart Superstore.

I used to be able to walk to Ralphs when it was there. It was very convenient. To my embarrassment, while my daughters were in junior high I came home to "Look Mom! We have a surprise for you!" There in my garage sat a Ralphs Grocery Cart. They had found it in the field. I said "God I HOPE no one saw you two bringing that cart home!" "Yes!" they said so cheerfully. "Everybody did! We pushed each other home in it!" Thankfully, Ralphs had closed down by then. And our children think that WE embarrass THEM. The good old days. I sure don't remember Kodak, you must have lived here a lot longer than I.

Posted by dave, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

For clarification Renae, are you saying you don't want a grocery store where Albertson's/LeAsia/Ralph's were located? If Walmart bought any of these companies should they not be allowed to change their name?

Posted by Westerner, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Competition is a good thing in a free market economy. I would welcome Wal-mart if they come to San Ramon. Their only real competitors locally are Target in San Ramon and Costco in Danville.

Posted by Roz Rogoff, the San Ramon Observer
on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Roz Rogoff is a registered user.

Walmart has grocery-only stores in different sizes. The one that might possibly go into that building is the Walmart Neighborhood Market. These are about 45,000 sq. ft. and that building is 55,000 sq. ft. So there would be no need to enlarge the building or change it's footprint. As long as the building remains intact and is used for a permitted purpose, which is a grocery story, the City cannot keep the business out regardless of who owns it.

Roz

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

For clarification Dave, I have NEVER said that I don't want a grocery store there - any grocery store...I have made it extremely clear that I don't know how it would affect the City as a whole, but for me it would be extremely convenient. If there was another grocery store there, I would most certainly shop there. The only reason I wouldn't would be if I saw a mouse...which is why I avoided Le Asia. I hate mice. Can I make it any clearer Dave that I would in fact probably shop at any grocery store in the location of the old Le Asia Market? I hated to see Ralph's go, and I have nothing personal against Walmart, except that I don't like driving to Pleasanton to shop there. Is EVERYBODY clear???? I have not yet found a reason to oppose a Walmart Grocery. Even if....and a doubtful if - they put in a Walmart Superstore, I would most likely shop there. Am I Clear Now??

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Absolutely unbelievable - so now Roz, YOU say "...the one that might possibly go into that building is the WALMART Neighborhood Market...", and the rumors begin again. Are you kidding? Are YOU Frank Ganz?

@Dave - these are my words - "...that I was excited to finally have a grocery story that I could ride my bike to" -- see above. It would behoove you to actually read what I have to say before starting another round of questioning.

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm

For the record, pretty much anything you want to know about me can be found by reading my blog. I am an open book, and if I haven't already written about it, I can assure you, I will.

Web Link

Posted by Renae Wilber, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Thank you Mr. Faroff -- I have reposted the words you spoke this afternoon from the Town Square Forum. I hope this penetrates the void. If this doesn't, I don't know what will....

Posted by Foz Faroff, a resident of San Ramon, 4 hours ago

"Hello, I'm Foz Faroff and welcome to today's episode of:

"CAST THE BLAME"

This is the internet game show where we blindly blame the innocent, smarm them out to the public and then hold them accountable for the result! Let's introduce today's contestants shall we?

She's a bloggin' beauty from Sunny San Ramon, a fiercely forthright and doggedly determined Mom of 2, Let's welcome the lovely Renae Wilber.

"I DONT CARE ABOUT THE FRIGGING STORE! NEVER DID! WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?"

Thanks Renae~ but facts have no place in "CAST THE BLAME"

This week, Renae has been blamed for inciting a riot, uprooting a forest, creating political instability and an unexpected 3% increase in the value of Walmart Stock...All while merely mentioning what was obvious to everyone else!

"I HAVE A GARDEN...I DONT EVEN NEED TO SHOP...WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? I JUST WANTED TO RIDE MY BIKE TO GET SOME MILK"

Thanks Renae but once again...facts need not be mentioned, we try to keep reality completely out of CAST THE BLAME!

Now today's challenger is rough and ready, bold and bodacious, a Mister of mysteriousness Mr. Frank Ganz.

"I DID IT...I DID EVERYTHING...I ADMIT IT"

Whoa, wait just a minute there Frank...there is NO Confessing allowed on CAST THE BLAME~

"But..I DID DO IT...I mean...nobody else...It was only me"

Stop right there Frank, you are perilously close to telling the truth and that is not allowed by Foz Faroff! You may be instantly disqualified if we even THINK you might be telling the truth...but don't worry too much...we aren't too hot on being able to identify the obvious, particularly if it seems logical.

Innocent members of the community who wish to play CAST THE BLAME, can avoid all applications by simply commenting on what you heard from a City official! Foz Faroff and her crack exploration team will weasel their way in and snatch absurdity from the jaws of obviousness!

You may be the next contestant...like it or not.

Like we say here at CAST THE BLAME! 'The truth..it's just SO Limiting'."

Posted by ms. bunny, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

Yes RW, I was AWARE the issue was a Walmart G R O C E R Y store (apparently I needed to add the word grocery for you...) I am not opposed to ANY small grocer going in EXCEPT Walmart's. Some of their food products are dated food products, INCLUDING pet food, and have been a source of illness according to what I've heard from several people both on west and east coasts(relatives & friends) I don't presume to know the "freshness" of all their products? -But I'll wager they are not the quality market desired for this community in particular. I stopped shopping for ANY food item from their store in Pleasanton years ago due of a couple of instances of not so healthy looking product once opened <yuck>

As far as I am concerned? They are on the low end of the "food chain".

Posted by dave, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

Didn't mean to upset you Renae. I would like to see a grocery store there too. I would like to walk over and get my lunch sandwich like Ralph's had available. I would like to have a salad bar like Whole Foods. I've never been to a Walmart grocery store but I know that Walmart requires more square footage for their department store than exists in the whole Country Club Shopping Center. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about another food location and not a super store.

Posted by publius, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

if she walked past a mirror, she would stop to look.

Posted by Roz Rogoff, the San Ramon Observer
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Roz Rogoff is a registered user.

Renae,

I am not Frank Ganz, ganzfrank, or Faz Faroff. All of these are made up characters designed to mislead residents of San Ramon.

There is no Frank Ganz in San Ramon and ganzfrank was the name made up by the person who wrote the flyer to suggest he or she is "completely frank," or honest. The word "ganz" in German means totally or completely, as I explained in my Frank Ganz Revealed! Blog entry. Web Link

I have come to the conclusion that you didn't write the flyer. Your writing doesn't match that in the flyer, and you don't seem to be that kind of person. However, I still believe you started the rumor. You said you told only one person, your partner Richard, what you heard about the Walmart store. Then you said you told your daughter too.

Renae, you can't stop "telling" everything to everyone. You've not only beaten one dead horse, you have a whole herd of dead horses. Even if you said it was a grocery store, most people know Walmart sells groceries but don't know they have separate, smaller grocery-only stores. So if you told anyone the City is planning a Walmart grocery at the old LeAsia Market they might conclude a whole Walmart is planned there. That's how rumors and misconceptions happen.

Roz

Posted by mloliver, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:50 pm

mloliver is a registered user.

Enough already.

Posted by Ms.Bunny, a resident of San Ramon
on Sep 6, 2011 at 8:50 am

MLO, Know it's exasperating for you (can tell!) But this is a forum of discussion and one and all need to discuss and sometimes vent...
Way of life! Try patience!

Posted by James von Halle, a resident of San Ramon
on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 am

The 19th. Amendment should be repealed.

Posted by Mrs. B, a resident of San Ramon
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I'm so happy that Wal-mart is bringing their "neighborhood grocery" store to SR. The Country Club site is perfect for it and it will be so nice to have a stable company, that won't bail as the economy fluctuates, anchor that site once and for all.

LeAsia was a smelly, dirty dump. Ralphs was a great store but they couldn't cut it financially. Walmart will stay for the long haul, bring much needed revenue, raise property values of nearby homes by finally filling an unstable, empty, vacant lot. They sell quality goods at low prices. They are non-union and their stores are clean and well organized. Anyone who wants to pay more or support the unions is free to get gouged at their local Lucky, Nob Hill, Whole Foods etc.

San Ramon is a high socio-economically populated city and those are the type of people who will shop at the San Ramon neighborhood Walmart. It's not going to bring in ghetto-life or crime as fearmongers want you to believe. It's just a store, nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing to fear, just low prices, a clean store and a stable occupant. Maybe more businesses will show up once Walmart comes in. Wouldn't it be nice to see an In-and-Out or a Sonic or a Rubio's? Maybe a bank etc. It would revitalize the Country Club shopping center. Sounds like a win-win. I can bike or walk to the store like I always did when Ralph's was there. I live in a $900,000 home, drive a luxury car, have two advanced college degrees and will proudly shop at Wal-mart. I don't want to overpay for groceries, I don't want to subsidize silly unions, I want quality items for reasonable prices, I want a clean store that is convenient for me to patronize and Walmart provides all of that.

Now, when are they opening already?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.